Spring (Mechanical) Starters
IPU’s range of SureStart spring starters are a reliable, cost-effective way of providing manual starting for diesel engines in a variety of applications. Available for engines up to 12 litres, they are ideally suited to harsh environments such as offshore and marine and provide an ideal low-cost alternative to electric starting systems.
Spring starting is a reliable, cost-effective way of starting a diesel engine.
Spring starters are suitable for engines up to 12 litres.
They are suitable for harsh environments such as offshore and marine applications.
Benefits of Spring Starting
1. Guaranteed starting. Long shutdowns, damp, cold or harsh environments don’t affect the engine cranking because of the manual operation
2. Reliability. A long and proven track record with many spring starters still operating after decades in service.
3. Space and weight saving. Starting at only 18kg and less than 50% the weight of a conventional electric starter.
4. Operator safety. The crank will not fly off or kick back during operation, and the motor can be unwound if not required.
5. Ease of use. Spring starters are a direct ‘bolt-on’ alternative to electric starters providing quick and easy installation.
6. Reduces battery costs. For certain applications, such as pumps, welders and gen-sets you can remove the need for a battery completely.
7. Lower electrical costs. Without the need for an electric starter a lighter duty alternator can be fitted or your existing alternator will last longer.